Trump says he's called off Iran strike at request of Gulf allies


13 minutes agoBasillioh RukangaNairobiAFP via Getty ImagesThe protests have been triggered by a record increase in the cost of fuelThousands of Kenyan commuters have been stranded and businesses paralysed as public transport operators went on a nationwide strike to protest against recent increases in the cost fuel.

Bakhtiari nomads, wearing traditional dress, hold their guns during a pro-government gathering near the residence where former Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, shown on a banner, was killed in U.S. and Israeli strikes on Feb. 28, in Tehran, Iran, Monday, May 18, 2026.
Vahid Salemi/AP
hide caption
toggle caption
Vahid Salemi/AP
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because "serious negotiations" are underway to end the war.
"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I'd be very happy," Trump said at the White House on Monday evening, after first making the announcement in a social media post.
Trump said he had planned "a very major attack" but put it off — "for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever." He said America's allies in the Gulf asked him to wait for two to three days because they feel they are close to a deal with Iran.
Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire reached in mid-April could end if Iran did not make a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement. Over the weekend he warned, "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them."
The president has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off. But he's also previously indicated he would hold off on military action to allow talks to continue — only to turn around and launch strikes. That's what happened at the war's outset, when he ordered strikes in late February shortly after indicating he would let talks play out.
Trump said the current pause for negotiations was a "very positive development," while acknowledging there were times in the past when a deal seemed close but nothing came of it. "But this is a little bit different," he said.
Trump credits Gulf allies
The president, who had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for Tuesday, did not offer details about the planned attack but said in his social media post he had instructed the U.S. military "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Trump said he was calling off the attack at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Iran and allied Shiite militias in Iraq have launched drone attacks targeting the Gulf Arab states in the war. The United Arab Emirates has recently accused Iran of launching drone and missile attacks despite the ceasefire. On Sunday, a drone strike sparked a fire on the edge of the UAE's sole nuclear power plant in what authorities called an "unprovoked terrorist attack" while not assigning blame.
Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.
Oil prices affected
Trump's post quickly caused a fall in the price of oil, which had been rising on the prospect of a prolonged standoff that would keep the Strait of Hormuz effectively closed.
Minutes before the president's announcement, petroleum futures had been trading at $108.83 a barrel. His word about negotiations almost instantly shaved more than $2 off the price, but it crept up again and ended on Monday at $107.25 a barrel.
Shortly after Trump's post, Iranian state TV called it a "retreat" based on "fear" in its broadcast ticker and on its X account.
It reported earlier that defense systems were activated late Monday on Qeshm Island in the Strait of Hormuz. It added the situation was "under control" there, the largest Iranian island in the Persian Gulf, home to about 150,000 people and a water desalination plant.
Major sticking points remain
Iran has effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for the shipment of oil, gas, fertilizer and other petroleum pr
13 minutes agoBasillioh RukangaNairobiAFP via Getty ImagesThe protests have been triggered by a record increase in the cost of fuelThousands of Kenyan commuters have been stranded and businesses paralysed as public transport operators went on a nationwide strike to protest against recent increases in the cost fuel.Key roads in the capital Nairobi remained largely empty, forcing some commuters to walk to work, with other parts of the country also affected by the transport crisis. Some businesses in Nairobi remained shut and schools asked students to stay at home.Protesters have been blocked roads and lighting burning barricades. More than 200
have been arrested, police say.The strike comes days after the authorities raised petroleum prices to record levels, with costs increasing by more than 20%.Kenya, like many other African countries, relies heavily on fuel imports from the Gulf, a supply route disrupted by the US-Israel conflict with Iran that began on 28 February. Even though a ceasefire has been declared, fuel prices have remained high as the Strait of Hormuz, where a fifth of the world's oil passes through, is still blocked.Many passengers were stranded at bus stops in the capital in the morning. Others arriving from elsewhere to Nairobi could not get into the city."There is no matatu anywhere... We used to pay 100 to 150 shillings, right now it's 300. Life is becoming so unbearable. So please, [President William] Ruto, wherever you are, if you can listen to us Kenyans, please lower those fuel prices," a resident of Kitengela on the outskirts of the city, who identified himself as Charles, told the Reuters news agency.The conductor of a bus carrying passengers from Tanzania said they could not get to Nairobi in the morning because of roadblocks and were stranded in Kajiado, a town about 75km (46 miles) from the city."The bus was full. Many passengers were travelling for work and business. People are now stranded and frustrated because transport has been disrupted," he told the BBC.Abdi Suleiman, a motorist who operates in the south-eastern Kenyan border town of Taveta and sources food items from across the border in Tanzania, told the BBC that he was unable to supply them as usual since morning because of the strike.In parts of Nairobi and elsewhere across the country, police used tear gas to disperse protesters who had blocked roads with burning tyres and barricades, amid reports they had been stopping and harassing motorists.Nairobi police commander Issa Mohamud said six police officers were injured in the clashes, and five police vehicles and one civilian vehicle were damaged.Ahead of the strike, the police assured Kenyans that security measures would be in place and warned against any disruptive conduct.Mohamud said 225 people had been arrested following the protests.AFP via Getty ImagesAuthorities had warned protesters against being disruptiveThe association representing transport operators had earlier urged all vehicle users, including private motorists, public transport buses (locally known as matatus) and truckers, to stay off the roads as part of a coordinated shutdown."This action is not only for transport operators, but for every Kenyan citizen," the Transport Sector Alliance (TSA) said in a statement.The alliance has accused the government of not doing enough to shield Kenyans from the rising fuel prices, amid a broader high cost-of-living crisis.It has called for the reversal of the price increases announced last week, and for fuel prices to be reduced by about 35%.The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (Epra) on Thursday raised prices to a high of 242 shillings ($1.8; £1.4) a litre for diesel and petrol to $1.65.Treasury Minister John Mbadi told local NTV station on Monday that the increase in fuel prices was "unfortunate" and acknowledged that it was hurting the economy.He however said the strike was "completely uncalled for" and the government would only make decisions that are "informed and not em
Discussion (0)