Big Cat Summit in New Delhi postponed



Quad Foreign Ministers’ attend a joint press conference in New Delhi on May 26, 2026. | At the 11th Quad Foreign Ministers’ meeting, External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar and his counterparts from Australia, Japan, and the United States launched initiatives on energy security, as well as on maritime surveillance and domain awareness to aid in emergency operations and humanitarian responses at sea.“On the issue of maritime security, there are two big announcements. The first is the launch of the Indo-Pacific Maritime Surveillance Collaboration initiative, which is going to leverage each of our country’s maritime surveillance capabilities in the Indo-Pacific to enhance information sharing,” U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said at a press conference on the Hyderabad House lawns, where he was joined by Mr. Jaishankar, Japanese FM Toshimitsu Motegi, and Australian FM Penny Wong.Quad Foreign Ministers meet updatesSecond, he said, is the “expansion of the Indo-Pacific Maritime Domain Awareness initiative which can provide near real-time commercial maritime domain awareness data to countries throughout the Indo-Pacific region”. Mr. Rubio also announced that India will host the “next iteration of the Quad at Sea mission, which will bring together our respective Coast Guards in one place and one ship”.The law of the seaThe immediate context of these two initiatives found prominent mention in the joint statement issued at the end of the meeting, which insisted on freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz and the South China Sea.Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi had said, while visiting New Delhi earlier this month, that the Strait of Hormuz is not part of any international waterway and as a result, Iran has no obligation to comply with the UNCLOS (UN Convention on the Law of the Sea).The Quad joint statement contradicted the Iranian claim, and condemned attacks on commercial shipping vessels. It called for adherence to the UNCLOS in both the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea, where the Iran-backed Houthi militia continues to pose a threat to western shipping, especially against the backdrop of the U.S.-Israel military campaign against Iran that started on February 28.The grouping also announced the Quad Initiative on Indo-Pacific Energy Security to boost regional energy resilience and emergency response exercises.‘Safe maritime commerce’Mr. Jaishankar also hinted at concerns over the continuing chokehold in the Strait of Hormuz and emphasised the need for “safe and unimpeded maritime commerce”. Referring to the growing collaboration in areas like surveillance and domain awareness, logistics networks, undersea cables, training and capacity building, and humanitarian assistance and disaster relief activities, he said, “We will be continuing to deepen these areas in the times to come.”Officials clarified that these initiatives were not aimed at any other regional powers. Later in the day, however, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning addressed the outcomes of the Quad ministerial in New Delhi and reiterated China’s opposition to the “creation of exclusive small cliques”.The joint statement mentioned that the Quad grouping views the “rule of law” and “international law” as essential for maintaining stability in the Indo-Pacific region. “In the midst of conflicts, geopolitical tensions, and strains on global supply chains, we reaffirm that the peace, stability, and prosperity of the Indo-Pacific hinges on upholding international law, and the peaceful resolution of disputes,” it said.Ms. Wong announced the Quad Ports of the Future Partnership, under which the grouping will launch a pilot project for port infrastructure in Fiji. “I was in Fiji just a couple o
World championships medallist Vinesh Phogat. File | The court directed the Centre to form expert committee to evaluate Ms. Phogat to ensure her participation in upcoming Asian Games selection trials.The WFI on May 9, issued a show-cause notice to the World championships medallist Ms. Phogat on different grounds, including her failure to stick to the weight restriction at the Paris Olympics, anti-doping issues (multiple whereabouts failures) and participating in two weight categories during the trials for an Olympic qualifier.The WFI said she could not be allowed to compete due to the mandatory six-month notice period that athletes need to serve before returning from retirement under anti-doping rules.Ms. Phogat, who retired following her disqualification from the 2024 Paris Olympics and gave birth to a boy in July last year, reversed her retirement decision on December 12, 2025. A defiant Vinesh showed up at the National Open Ranking Tournament in Gonda even though WFI had declared her ineligible. She has responded to the notice and refused to back down despite WFI’s strict position.On Ms. Phogat’s return after maternity break, Delhi HC remarked that WFI departure from past selection criteria speaks volume, adding that motherhood is celebrated in the country.Whatever may be the feud or dispute, why should cause of wrestling suffer, wondered the Bench.Recently, making a startling revelation Ms. Phogat said that she was among the six women wrestlers allegedly sexually harassed by former Wrestling Federation of India chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh against whom she had participated in the protest by women wrestlers in 2023.(With PTI inputs) Published - May 22, 2026 01:24 pm IST
Representative image. | The summit was expected to have significant representation from African countries. The First IBCA Summit was scheduled in conjunction with the Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit (IAFS IV), as several African countries host big cats and are important partners in global efforts towards conservation, ecological sustainability and biodiversity protection.“It has been decided that, in order to ensure broad and active participation from all Range countries, including African countries, the First IBCA Summit too will be convened at a later date. New dates for the Summit will be announced in due course following consultations with participating countries and stakeholders,” a press statement from the Environment Ministry late on Thursday (May 21, 2026) noted.“India remains firmly committed to working with all partners to advance the shared objectives of biodiversity conservation and sustainable development,” it added. Published - May 21, 2026 11:52 pm IST
Discussion (0)