Mumbai Rains: Man falls into open manhole in Chandivali, dies; BMC suspends 4 officials
"Export proceeds from certain overseas buyers had not been realised and no extension of time had been obtained from the Authorised Dealer Bank.

"Export proceeds from certain overseas buyers had not been realised and no extension of time had been obtained from the Authorised Dealer Bank.


During the raids, the Enforcement Directorate seized evidence of undisclosed foreign assets, undisclosed foreign bank accounts and suspicious cross-border transactions linked to producer Dharmesh Narendra Sangani.ED raids 11 locations ₹260 crore crypto fraud case under PMLA (Image: HT)The Enforcement Directorate (ED) conducted searches under the provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA) on July 9, in connection with an investigation related to Kalanee Impex Private Limited and its active director, Dharmesh Narendra Sangani.During the raids, the Enforcement Directorate seized evidence of undisclosed foreign assets, undisclosed foreign bank accounts and suspicious cross-border transactions.Officials said undisclosed foreign banks’ accounts in Canada, the USA and the UAE have been identified.The search proceedings revealed that "money which ought to have been received in India has not come to India despite lapse of substantial time," officials said."Export proceeds from certain overseas buyers had not been realised and no extension of time had been obtained from the Authorised Dealer Bank. There were no documented recovery efforts," officials said.The ED investigation further revealed receipt of export proceeds from third-party entities other than the consignee or buyer named in export invoices/shipping bills."Evidence relating to undisclosed foreign assets and foreign bank accounts was also found during the search proceedings," they added, claiming that a substantial shareholding of Dharmesh Sangani was found in an undisclosed Canadian company.“For example, Substantial shareholding of Mr. Dharmesh Sangani was found in an undisclosed Canadian company. Associated foreign bank account and related transactions were also not disclosed before appropriate authorities. In another instance, undisclosed UAE Business entity has been identified,” officials said.According to officials, customs authorities of the USA and the UK are also investigating certain transactions of Dharmesh Sangani. "The ED is also investigating FEMA violations in such transactions," they said.During the search operation, officials alleged that Dharmesh Sangani attempted to destroy digital evidence by throwing his mobile phone from the 13th floor of a building, following which a complaint was filed by the ED with Mumbai Police."The Mobile was later retrieved by ED officers and seized."Earlier, in September 2016, the agency said UK Border Force officers had seized approximately 7.4 kg of gold jewellery being brought into the UK by Dharmesh Sangani, alleging that the same was under-declared.Who is Dharmesh Narendra Sangani?Dharmesh Narendra Sangani is an entrepreneur-turned-producer.He was appointed as the Director of UK-based DHARMESH SANGANI LTD in 2015. The company was dissolved in 2019.Dharmesh Narendra Sangani is also one of the director of KALANEE IMPEX PRIVATE LIMITED. It's a Mumbai-based private company incorporated on December 7, 2011.Other directors of the company are Rajeeta Dharmesh Sangani, and Narendra Prabhudas Shangani, according to Zauba Corp.Sangani is also among the owners of GBM STUDIOS PRIVATE LIMITED, a production and training company in the film and television sector, according to reports.He is listed as founder and visionary of the Shekhar Suman Film Academy (SSFA), with GBM Studios as the umbrella brand, PTI reported.According to Tracxn, GBM STUDIOS PRIVATE LIMITED's authorised share capital is ₹10 lakh and its paid up capital is ₹1 lakh. "The current board of directors of GBM STUDIOS PRIVATE LIMITED comprises Dharmesh Narendrakumar Sangani and Narendra Prabhudas Shangani," it added.Stay updated with the latest Trending, India , World and US news. HomeNewsIndiaED begins probe against producer Dharmesh Sangani; detects undisclosed foreign assets, cross-border transactionsMore

Heavy rainfall continued to disrupt flight operations at Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport on Monday, with 17 flights cancelled and 217 delayed by 11:30 am.Mumbai, Jul 06 (ANI): Passengers walk along waterlogged railway tracks near Vasai station amid heavy rainfall at Nalasopara East, in Mumbai on Monday. (ANI Video Grab)(ANI Video Grab)Heavy rainfall continued to disrupt flight operations at Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport on Monday, with airport sources reporting 17 flight cancellations and 217 delays across arrivals and departures till 11:30 am.The weather-related disruptions come as Mumbai remains under an India Meteorological Department (IMD) Red Alert, with the city witnessing intense rainfall and gusty winds.Airlines Issue Fresh AdvisoriesWith no immediate improvement in weather conditions, several airlines issued fresh travel advisories, asking passengers to check their flight status before leaving for the airport.Akasa Air said, "Due to heavy rainfall in Mumbai, Pune and Goa, some flights across our network may be delayed."The airline acknowledged the inconvenience caused to passengers, adding, "We realize that this may inconvenience your travel plans and seek your patience and understanding. While this situation is completely beyond our control, please rest assured that our teams are always ready to assist you."Akasa Air also urged travellers to verify their flight status before commencing their journey to the airport.IndiGo, SpiceJet And Air India Also Alert PassengersIndiGo also cautioned passengers about possible disruptions, saying, "Bad weather over Mumbai may impact flight schedules." The airline added that it is closely monitoring the situation while assisting affected passengers.Budget carrier SpiceJet issued a similar advisory on X, writing, "#WeatherUpdate: Due to bad weather (heavy rain) in Mumbai (BOM), all departures/arrivals and their consequential flights might get affected." The airline requested passengers to keep track of their flight status through its official website before travelling to the airport.Air India also warned that adverse weather could affect operations, saying, "Adverse weather conditions may impact flight operations to and from Mumbai and Delhi."Passengers Advised To Check Flight StatusWith rain continuing to lash Mumbai and forecasts indicating more showers, airlines have urged passengers to stay updated through official channels and check the latest status of their flights before heading to the airport to avoid inconvenience.The heavy rainfall has affected both arriving and departing flights, with airlines working to minimise disruptions while weather conditions remain unfavourable.About the AuthorAnjali ThakurAnjali Thakur is a Senior Assistant Editor with Mint, reporting on trending news, entertainment and health, with a focus on stories driving digital conversations. Her work involves spotting early signals across news cycles and social media, sharpening stories for SEO and Google Discover, and mentoring young editors in digital-first newsroom practices. She is known for turning fast-moving developments—whether news-driven or culture-led—into clear, tightly edited journalism without compromising editorial rigour. Before joining Mint, she was Deputy News Editor at NDTV.com, where she led the Trending section and covered viral news, breaking developments and human-interest stories. She has also worked as Chief Sub-Editor at India.com (Zee Media) and as Senior Correspondent with Exchange4media and Hindustan Times’ HT City, reporting on media, advertising, entertainment, health, lifestyle and popular culture. Anjali holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Miranda House, and is currently pursuing an MBA, strengthening her understanding of business strategy and digital media economics. Her writing balances newsroom discipline with a clear instinct for what resonates with readers. Stay updated with the latest Trending,
A 55-year-old man lost his life after falling into an open manhole during heavy rainfall in Mumbai on Thursday, prompting widespread outrage and strong reactions from political leaders and civic authorities.The incident took place in the Chandivali area of the city's western suburbs, officials said.Teams from the Mumbai Fire Brigade and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation's (BMC) disaster management department launched an extensive search operation before recovering the victim's body.According to BMC officials, three contractual workers had removed the manhole cover to carry out maintenance work. The victim, who was allegedly speaking on his mobile phone while walking, is believed to have accidentally stepped into the uncovered opening.CCTV footage from Khairani Road captured the horrifying moment. The video showed the man, later identified as Aslam Easaf Shaikh, walking past a parked tempo before suddenly disappearing into the open manhole. It also showed workers rushing to the spot and looking into the opening moments after the incident.Officials said the workers immediately lowered a ladder into the manhole in an attempt to rescue him, but could only recover his umbrella and slippers.Following the tragedy, the BMC suspended four officials over alleged lapses in safety and supervision.The Maharashtra government also announced financial assistance of ₹10 lakh for the family of the deceased, Aslam Shaikh.Authorities said it was not immediately known whether the open manhole was connected to a sewer network or a stormwater drainage line.Rescue efforts were hampered by the strong flow of rainwater, making it difficult to determine the direction in which the victim had been swept away, officials added.After an intensive search, the man was eventually located some distance from the spot where he had fallen."A fireman equipped with breaching apparatus descended into the underground line, and the man was pulled out," an official said.The victim was rushed to the civic-run Rajawadi Hospital, where doctors declared him dead on arrival, BMC officials confirmed.Deputy Mayor Sanjay Ghadi said the civic body would register a case against the contractor responsible for the maintenance work, alleging that the incident amounted to "homicide" due to negligence.Shiv Sena (UBT) leader and Leader of the Opposition in the BMC, Kishori Pednekar, described the incident as shocking, questioning how such a tragedy could occur on a busy arterial road while civic work was underway. She also raised concerns over the apparent lack of adequate barricading and other safety measures around the open manhole.Former Member of Parliament and Shiv Sena leader Milind Deora termed the incident a preventable tragedy and called for strict accountability against those responsible."How many more Mumbaikars must die before basic civic safety becomes a priority? Open manholes are not "accidents", they are a result of negligence, failed systems and lack of accountability," Deora wrote on X.The issue also echoed in the Maharashtra Assembly, where Speaker Rahul Narwekar described the death as a grave matter, saying it amounted to "culpable homicide." He directed the state government to present a detailed statement on the incident before the House concluded its proceedings for the day.About the AuthorLivemintFor about a decade, Livemint—News Desk has been a credible source for authentic and timely news, and well-researched analysis on national news, business, personal finance, corporates, politics and geopolitics. We bring the latest updates on all the listed companies on BSE and NSE, startups, mutual funds, Union ministries, geopolitics, and untapped human interest stories from around the world, helping our readers to stay informed on the latest developments around the globe. Our Coverage Areas 1. Companies: Comprehensive news and analysis on listed and unlisted companies, corporate announcements, corporate chatter, C-suite, business trends, hiring alerts, layoffs, wor
Discussion (0)